- Limit your activity for 24 to 48 hours after the procedure.
- Know the risks involved with amniocentesis. This can help you recognize if you are having complications. Make sure you understand the following risks:
- Loss of blood
- Harm to the baby from the needle
- Harm to the placenta or cord from the needle
- Premature breaking of the amniotic sac
- Premature labor or contractions
- Don’t be alarmed if you have some brief, mild cramping. This is normal.
- Make an appointment to speak with a genetic counselor about the test results.
Make a follow-up appointment with your healthcare provider. Our staff will give you directions.